We haven’t won yet.
Today, more than 500 constituents will OCCUPY THE OFFICES OF ALL GOP SENATORS WHO DO NOT SPEAK UP AGAINST ACA REPEAL
Wherever you are, help keep up the pressure to #KillRepeal!
Thanks to your unwavering efforts, we #KilledtheBill. But the fight is not over yet! Senate leadership is resorting to a last ditch nuclear option to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) without a replacement, which will do even more harm.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has scheduled a vote next week on the ACA Repeal bill that would:
- End the Medicaid expansion and all premium tax credits and cost sharing subsidies while ending the individual mandate
- Leave 18 million Americans uninsured during the first year it takes effect
- Leave 32 million Americans uninsured by 2026
- Increase premiums by 25% within the first year and 100% by 2026
Your calls are working! But we cannot take anything for granted. Call 866-246-9371 to reach your senators, even if you have already called them. You can tell them:
“My name is _____ and I live in [city, zip]. I’m a person [living with/concerned about] HIV and I’m calling to urge Senator ____ not to take health insurance away from 32 million Americans, including many living with HIV, by supporting the repeal of the Affordable Care Act without a replacement bill. Vote No on ACA Repeal.”
We know we have asked you to do a lot over the last several months. You called Congress time and again to tell them to #KillTheBill. It worked! Now we must continue to #RESIST if we are to #ProtectOurCare and #KillRepeal forever. Please call TODAY!
- Support the 500+ constituents sitting in today by following @housingworks and @uspwn on twitter; follow and amplify the hashtags #ProtectOurCare #KillRepeal #StopTrumpCare. See below for all details on today’s actions.
- Share these graphics across social media.
- Organize a phone bank! Do you work or volunteer for an organization that provides services for or advocates for people who would be affected by the changes to health care? Have some friends and family who are also worried about the impending health care disaster? Use this toolkit to organize your own phone bank to #ProtectOurCare.
- Visit Positive Women’s Network-USA #KillTheBill Resource page for the latest tools and talking points to support your advocacy, including factsheets!
- More resources available at these links: FamiliesUSA Fact Sheet on the National Impact on Repealing the ACA; FamiliesUSA State Fact Sheets on Repealing the ACA; Congressional Budget Office Score on an ACA Repeal
**MEDIA ADVISORY FOR WEDNESDAY, JULY 19**
Contact: Jennifer Flynn, Center for Popular Democracy, 917 517-5202 • email@example.com
Paul Davis, Housing Works, 202 817 0129 • firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE: 500+ CONSTITUENTS TO OCCUPY OFFICES OF ALL 52 GOP SENATORS WHO DO NOT SPEAK UP AGAINST ACA REPEAL
In wake of health care bill collapse, constituents from across the country plan to flood Capitol Hill to protest Republican senators who have not spoken up against ACA repeal and demand universal, affordable, quality healthcare for all
People with disabilities and life-threatening chronic illnesses, cancer survivors, Medicaid recipients, Affordable Care Act (ACA) policyholders, registered nurses, doctors, and others directly impacted by the potential repeal of ACA will be traveling from all states represented by Republican Senators to descend upon Capitol Hill on Wednesday, July 19, to send one clear message: Stop trying to kill Obamacare.
The Republican healthcare bill may not have enough votes to go forward, but GOP senators have signaled they will still proceed with a vote to repeal the ACA. Dozens of people will risk arrest in acts of civil disobedience—a sign of just how critical it is to them that their Senators hear their pleas not to put their lives and those of people they love at risk by stripping protections for preexisting conditions, essential health benefits, and other key features of the ACA that have allowed 20 million Americans to access coverage since its implementation. The protesters will call for Senators to instead support a single payer, Medicare for All system, that would ensure guaranteed health care to every person living in the United States.
WHO: Center for Popular Democracy, Housing Works, National Nurses United, Rise and Resist, Positive Women’s Network – USA, ACT UP, and Health Care for America Now, and a nationwide network of 500+ constituents of all 52 Republican Senators, including many with serious health conditions and disabilities.
WHAT: National Town Hall Meeting on Health Care, massive civil disobedience in Senate offices
WHEN: Wed, July 19:
1pm National Town Hall on Healthcare, open to the press.
St. Mark’s Church 301 St St SE, Washington DC. Please arrive at 12:30
Speakers include patients and providers from states that would be hurt by repeal, as well as the Presidents of National Nurses United, Physicians for a National Health Plan, as well as speakers from Hoosier Action from Indiana, Positive Women’s Network, and Housing Works in New York. The panel is moderated by Dr. Sanjeev Sriram, host of the podcast “Dr. America”, who also practices general pediatrics in southeast Washington.
After the town hall, around 2 p.m., hundreds of constituents from almost every state in the country will step off to hit the office of EVERY senator who has not come out against repeal, and participate in civil disobedience to demand health care for all.